Here are some hair transplant surgery tips. These have been collected from a number of experienced hair transplant patients.
- I would advise taking the pain killers regularly, even before the pain starts
- Have the hair transplant doctor wash your hair the day after hair restoration surgery. It will help reduce scabing and you won’t spend the next two weeks looking in the mirror waiting for them to fall off.
- Never underestimate the recovery time needed. Get the absolute max amount of time off work. You will feel fine after a couple of days but you will look terrible. Its not so bad if you can wear a cap.
- Remove all mirrors from your house, car, office etc seriously!
- Sleep upright /45degree angle to help aid swelling
- Apply huge amounts of Aloe Vera to both donor and recipient area 5 days after. (2 x a day minimum)
- Distilled witch hazel can help with redness (apply 7/8 days post op)
- Consider getting on MSM (some people swear that it helps hair grow faster)
- Drink lots of water / fluids
- Bend at the knees for first 3/4 days
- First 3/4 days just put shampoo in a cup and pour it over the recipient and donor area. Then build up to a shower but shield your recipient with your hand and dab on shampoo.
- Soak your head in a hot bath prior to Staple removal
- Rest as much as possible
- No physical activity for 10 days then build it up slowly!
- Don’t expose your head at all to the sun for the first 2 weeks. It is then ok to use sun screen on the graft for the first four months. Otherwise if you get too much exsposure you’ll peel really bad and have redness for months.
- Use a bandana – its more comfortable than the baseball hat and covers more of the head.
Two Weeks After Hair transplant Surgery
- Stop staring in the mirror all the time
- Start up physical exercise gradually
- Consider minoxodil as it might help speed up growth
- Stop inspecting donor scar/area all the time! Its takes months to fade.
- Be Patient! Live Life!
- Take some clear pics to compare you situation at various stages