How much hair density can a hair transplant surgeon accomplish in a single hair transplant session for the hairline? I’ve been to a few hair transplant clinics and have been shown some amazing hair transplant photos, but most of the hair transplant patients had two surgeries. I would like to achieve 60-70 hair grafts per cm/2 if possible.
This is a very popular question among those seeking hair transplantation.
Most first-rate hair restoration physicians such as members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Surgeons who perform ultra refined follicular unit grafting are perfectly capable of performing a great amount of hair density in a single hair transplant session.
But though higher numbers in hair density always sound ultra impressive – it may or may not be in a hair restoration patient’s best interest to receive that much density so quickly.
Therefore we must consider candidacy for such high hair density in a single session. Whether or not you are a candidate will depend on a number of factors:
- Your age: Young hair loss sufferers are typically not good candidates for hair transplantation at all let alone an ultra dense single hair transplant procedure. This is because hair loss is a progressive condition and is unpredictable. The hair restoration surgeon must plan for the possibility of future hair loss. See the following Hair Loss Q&A Blog: Am I Too Young For a Hair Transplant?
- Available donor hair based on scalp elasticity, donor hair density, and hair transplant physician philosophy. Some hair transplant doctor’s are more conservative than others and will not excise as large of a donor strip.
- The balding area to be covered: the larger the bald area, the more follicular unit grafts needed to achieve higher hair density.
- [tag]Skinny Grafts[/tag] Verses Chubby Grafts: The ability to dense pack hairs together is somewhat hindered with the use of “chubby” grafts due to the larger incision sizes made in the scalp. Additional hair density can always be added however, with subsquent hair transplant procedures. Learn more about Chubby Verses Skinny Grafts.
- Your hair restoration goals: What would you like to accomplish during hair transplant surgery? What are you willing to sacrifice? Higher hair density may result in the need to sacrifice coverage depending on your current and future level of hair loss.
For more information, I recommend reading the following Hair Loss Q&A Blog: Are Higher Hair Densities Always Superior?
Technorati Tags: hair transplant surgeon, hair transplant, hair transplant clinic, hair transplant photos, hair transplant patient, hair grafts, hair transplantation, hair restoration physician, hair density, hair transplant session, hair restoration patient, hair transplant procedure, hair restoration surgeon, donor hair, hair transplant physician, balding, bald, Chubby Grafts, dense pack, hair restoration, Hair Loss