Can I get body hair transplanted to my scalp? How effective is this solution?
There are other hair transplant doctors who have done a lot more body hair transplants than me. I have performed body to body hair transplantation in rare situations but do not usually recommend transplanting body hair to the scalp for the following reasons:
- Body hair is not the same quality of hair as scalp hair and does not look as good or as natural.
- The life cycle of body hair is different than for scalp hair so it takes longer for the transplanted hair to grow. Also transplanted body hair will spend less time in the hair growth phase and more time in the resting phase than transplanted scalp hair. See the normal scalp hair growth cycle for more information.
- Body hair transplantation is still quite new in medical terms, so there is not a lot of data about results or survival of the transplanted hair. FUE for body hair is usually technically more difficult than for scalp hair.
- So far, I have been disappointed by the few results that I have seen of other surgeon’s body hair transplants.
- Most men still have scalp hair available for transplantation.
I think of body hair transplantation as a last resort, not as a first option. I would be happy to meet with you in person to discuss all your options. If body hair transplantation truly is your best option we can discuss it further then.
Dr. Cam Simmons