On October 8th some of the true masters of Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation came together at the Shapiro Medical Group clinic in Minnesota to exchange ideas and techniques. During the live surgery, performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro, they discussed technical issues such as how to:
- Remove a safe size donor strip, while keeping the transection of follicles to an absolute minimum. (Dr. Robert Haber’s new “donor spreader”, which virtually eliminates transaction in the donor area was demonstrated.)
- Close and suture the donor area under minimal tension to minimize scarring of the donor area.
- Create an overlapping ledge along the suture to make the donor scar virtually undetectable.
- Use high powered magnification during the creation of graft incisions to avoid transecting existing hair follicles (even tiny vellus hairs) in the recipient area.
- Use ultra tiny instruments that create minimally invasive incisions as small as 0.6 mm.
- Create incisions that are orientated (laterally and or sagitally) to achieve perfectly angled and directed hair that grows in completely natural directions.
- Carefully place microscopically trimmed follicular unit grafts into ultra tiny incisions in tight patterns, while assuring optimal grow rates.
The level of discussion and demonstration was cutting edge and gave top physicians a chance to compare notes and ideas with others at their level. Attendees later attended a dinner in downtown Minneapolis where the discussion and exchange of ideas could be continued.
The October 8th weekend surgical workshop was sponsored by the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians and hosted by the Shapiro Medical Group.
The Coalition is at the vanguard of perfecting and providing the new minimally invasive Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation. This newest evolution in follicular unit grafting, while much more demanding for the clinic, is optimal for the patient and enables them to achieve rapid healing, cosmetic density in a given area after only one surgical session and completely natural hair direction. Coalition surgeons are also committed to using only the most advanced and proven methods for safely removing the donor follicles.
All members of the coalition have demonstrated mastery at performing the new Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation with excellent results.
This free event was limited to ten attendees to maintain an intimate scale. Attendees included:
Dr. Ronald Shapiro of Minneapolis – Coalition Member and event host
Dr. Ray Konior of Chicago – Coalition Member
Dr. Jerry Cooley of Charlotte, N.C. – Coalition Member
Dr. James DeYarman of San Diego – Coalition Member
Dr. Joseph Williams of Las Vegas – Coalition Member
Dr. Robert Dorin of New York City – Coalition Member
Dr. John Gillespie – Sponsor of the Hair Transplant Network
Dr. Vito Quatela – Sponsor of the Hair Transplant Network
Dr. Don Shepps – Invited Guest
Dr. Paul Shapiro – Invited Guest