My dermatologist couldn’t answer this question and I couldn’t find an explanation on the internet. If DHT is the main culprit of hair loss, then why doesn’t Propecia protect minoxidil dependent hair upon stopping minoxidil regardless of its different mechanism of action. If Propecia is reducing DHT, then why would stopping minoxidil cause hair loss?
Remember that Propecia only really inhibits about 60% of DHT, leaving 40% to attack hair follicles. Minoxidil adds extra stimulation to your hair causing hair regrowth. Removing it from the equation will lessen your chance of keeping some of this hair.
I suppose the phrase “minoxidil dependent” should be explained a bit further. Healthy hair not affected by DHT won’t become dependent on minoxidil. Only miniaturizing hair that’s been successfully sustained or rejuvenated by minoxidil is. If a patient uses minoxidil only, most likely these hairs would fall out upon stopping its use. However, if Propecia is added to the hair loss regime later, some of these hairs may survive due to Propecia successfully inhibiting DHT.
Unfortunately, there’s really no way to know for sure what hair you’ll keep and which you’ll lose if you stop minoxidil.
I hope this helps explain things further.
View the Hair Transplant Network Myspace Profile and add us as a friend