264 Comments

1. Hani
    May 23, 2017 @ 8:24 pm

David and Blake,

I used minoxidil for 4 months. Between 3-4 months, i noticed my libido dissappear to 0. I had no idea what was causing this. I thought that i might have been consuming too much phytoestrogens from plant based diet….so i stopped all sources of phytoestrogens in my diet. 3 months after stopping, my side effects are the same. After doing a quick google search and realizing that there are THOUSANDS….yes David and Blake…..THOOOUUUSSAAANNDDSS of men complaining about loss of libido and ED from minoxidil, i am 110% certain that minoxidil can cause these effects in some people. During the time i took Minoxidil, i had no changes in my lifestyle whatsoever and im young and healthy. Furthermore, i am a CERTIFIED CLINICAL RESEARCH PROFESSIONAL WITH 7 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE, 2 YEARS IN DERMATOLOGY TRIALS AND 5 YEARS IN CANCER TRIALS….so i know a thing or 2 about causality of investigational drugs and phase I-IV clinical trials. I am SHOCKED…ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED that peoples complaints of libido and ED have gone ignored by the FDA. There seems to be a huge cover up going on between the FDA and Pfizer/ Johnson and Johnson to conceal the truth about this drug (WHICH THE EXACT MECHANISM OF ACTION IS NOT EVEN UNDERSTOOD)…..And you have the nerve to tell people that they are imagining or are wrong…and that there are no documented cases??? What about the thousands of complaints of loss of libido and ED….those dont count as documented cases ???

2. Steve
    May 28, 2017 @ 4:20 pm

I used Rogaine for 4 months. It definitely caused me to have complete lack of sexual desire (my libido is non-existant) even 3 months after stopping. Due to the loss of my libido, my erections and penis size have also suffered of course. I wake up each morning and realize that i am living a nightmare. I have done full lab tests which are normal apparently. I am going to see an endocrinologist soon. Hopefully he will have some answers for me. I will also try natural health products in hopes of salvaging what is left of my manhood. I cant believe this is happening to me. The worst part is that many medical professionals dont truly believe it, even though they say it is possible. Minoxidils mechanism of action is unknown and there are hundreds of people complaining that their sexual desires (getting horny, feeling the urge to have sex with women) has disappeared after using minoxidil, despite being healthy young men and no other changes in their lifestyle or diet. When i started feeling lack of sexual desire (getting horny), i wondered what was causing it and was somewhat relieved since i had a high libido that always needed to be tamed by ejaculation….i thought that i may be consuming too many phytoestrogens in my diet so i stopped consuming any possible sources of phytoestrogens and nothing changed. Finally after a quick google search, i was shocked to see tons of people complaining of sexual side effects from rogaine….From the research i have done, it seems that many people recover or improve within 3 months to 1 year but there are some who have had permanent/ long term damage to their sexual function.

3. Steve
    June 22, 2017 @ 12:00 am

I just want to give an update. I posted the last post also. I saw the endocrinologist. He believes that minoxidil suppressed my androgen receptors as per the science paper from taiwan dated 2014 and titled “minoxidil may suppress androgen receptor related functions”. He said that would explain why all my hormone tests were normal. He said there is no way to test androgen receptor status or treat or reverse androgen receptor suppression. He said all u can do is stop the drug and wait for recovery. He said it could take more than a few months. He said its quite a rare side effect
    He also advised me to come off the antidepressant ive been on for 12 years to speed up recovery since it may have a synergistic effect even though it never caused sexual side effects in the 12 years i took it. I urge everyone who has experienced sexual side effects from minoxidil to submit a report online to the regulatory body of your country. In the US, you can submit to FDA medwatch….report a problem…consumers. Health canada has a similar online reporting system as do all first world country regulatory bodies. Please remember to complete the submission with accuracy and detail. The more the better. The FDA only needs 1 or 2 well documented submissions to take action based on your submission. They also have to determine from your submission that minoxidil was the definitley related to the side effects. Doctors are not required to submit these reports to the FDA and consumers must do it directly. These reports are needed to once and for all establish a connection between minoxidil and persistent sexual dysfunction. This is the best thing that you can do. I also highly advise that you see a naturopathic doctor to put you in the optimal situation for recovery…one that specializes in hormonal conditions.

4. Steve
    July 26, 2017 @ 9:11 pm

The previous post was mine. Im giving an update. I saw a naturopath specializing in hormone conditions. She had me do a 24 hour urine hormone test…which was quite expensive but well worth it. It revealed a lot of abnormalities that are not observed on normal hormone testing done by the endocrinologist. Normal hormone testing only captures the amount of main hormones in your blood and not in your tissues and does not capture any information about the full hormone panel of hormone metabolites and cortisol etc. In any case, contrary to the blood test which was all “normal” in reference to extreme ranges that are not optimized for sexual functions and libido, the urine test revealed that all my hormones starting with DHEAS, testosterone, and estrogen were extremely elevated beyond normal. Excess testosterone gets converted to estrogen and this is where she thinks my sexual dysfunction symptoms are coming from. In addition, my cortisol levels and oxidative stress levels were through the roof, due to weight gain, eating unhealthy food, and high levels of emotional stress…this is very bad for sexual function also. She has recommend that i tackle this from all directions. A) Reduce cortisol B) Reduce inflammation C) aromatase inhibitors D) metabolize and excrete excess estrogen and hormone metabolites. She has recommended an array of supplements, food, and lifestyle changes to fulfill these objectives. I will update again…..i do wonder whether the suppression of androgen receptors is causing my body to overcompensate by ramping up production of hormones across the board. That is pure speculation on my part.

5. Steve
    September 2, 2017 @ 9:59 pm

If you are experiencing sexual side effects or any unexpected side effects from minoxidil and you live in the USA, please submit an online report through FDA Medwatch- the US pharmacovigilance program. Similarly, if you are living in Canada and experience unexpected side effects (sexual or otherwise), please submit an online report through Health Canada”s online Pharmacovigilance portal. Reporting of side effects is voluntary for doctors and consumers after a drug is marketed. That is why many post marketing side effects are under-reported. Please make sure to complete the reports with as much detail as possible. It is even better if you keep your minoxidil bottles . Your reports will ensure proper regulation of post marketed drugs, not limited to changing in drug labeling, withdrawal of drug from the market, changing of side effect profiles etc. Do the right thing and submit the reports please !!

6. Mori
    October 18, 2017 @ 4:04 pm

I used minoxidil for about 3 years. it made my erection weak and I lose my erection after 10-20 s. after seeing this forum I am sure that it is due to minoxidil. during using it, I experienced occasional numbness of my penis when I sit in chair. now, I have quitted minoxidil for about 1 month; although the erection is still weak but I did not experience any numbness in my penis after quitting minoxidil. also during the use of minoxidil, the main vains of my penis got wider and thicker. now after quitting it I realize that the veins become narrower. I think that these signs of recovery. I hope so.
    anybody have experienced these (numbness of penis and thick veins) during using minoxidil?

7. Daniel
    October 23, 2017 @ 4:03 pm

Hello Steve, do you have any updates so far?

My Story: I have used Rogaine 5% for nearly half a year end experienced extreme ED from 100% to like 0-10%. I decreased it to 2,5% in hope I could still hold on the the success on hair and reduce the side effects because i understimated those effects. I didn’t want to lose all my hair and tried to lower the dose step by step for the next 11-12 months. Now I stopped for 10 months but still have the same issues. I should have stopped immidiately….
    My hormone and thyroid levels were all right. Reading above gives me atleast hope that my body can somehow recover by itself.

8. DC
    November 17, 2017 @ 1:10 am

Hey steve and daniel, ihv suffered the same problems as you. Can you guys update on if the problems is over now? Please mail me at junkmaildev95 at gmail. I need to talk to you guys please reply.

9. Steve
    December 7, 2017 @ 1:35 am

Hey Daniel,

Nothing to update about. I have been fully asexual since the day i stopped minoxidil in march 2017. 0 sex drive…like a zombie walking this earth…my life is over….theres really no point in living anymore…..how many lives must be ruined before the medical community establishes a link between minoxidil and these devastating side effects……but in all honesty , im fairly certain that those who experienced unexpected side effects from minox overapplied minoxidil (more than half capful twice daily)….so if that is the case….you can make the claim that any pharmacetical can have bad long term side effects if you exceed the maximum dose…..so i feel like this is my fault as well…..but upon reviewing the drug info….it doesnt even mention sexual side effects for side effects to be expected if too much drug is absorbed in the body!! And im fairly certain many people overapply minoxidil so it seems overall quite rare to suffer long term sexual sides from minox…

10. Bill - Managing Publisher
    December 8, 2017 @ 2:46 pm

DC,

I don’t know how many people who have commented follow up and view responses. Thus, I recommend joining our free hair restoration forum to post your question. Therefore, hundreds of active hair loss sufferers will view your topic, many of which will respond with their opinion and experiences. I look forward to seeing you on the forums :-).

Bill – Managing Publisher of this community

11. Mido
    May 20, 2018 @ 8:00 am

Hi steve
    How are you doing now?? I hope u are good
    ED is still with u or what and sexual drive also
    I want to know how I come back to my hard-rock erection and hunger sexual desire after using poison (minoxidil) plz help me guys

12. dwanye joe
    May 29, 2018 @ 5:47 am

Hey admin,
    How can i delete my comment on this post can you plz let me know. Thanks in advance.

13. Bill - Managing Publisher
    June 26, 2018 @ 4:22 pm

Dwanye Joe, what comment are you referring to?

14. MoonlightDancer
    July 11, 2018 @ 3:00 am

I am also suffering from penile numbness and extremely low libido after using Minoxidil 5% liquid for 40 days. It has been 50 days since quitting and I have hardly had any improvement. My testicles tingle all the time and that keeps me awake at nights.

Impotence/ED is a known side effect of minoxidil in some countries such as Switzerland or the Czech Republic. It is mentioned on the inserts of some brands. It supresses the androgen receptors. Vast majority recover from this, but there have been several cases of people with permanent side effects lasting 2+ years. Altogether, I found about 15 such cases and hundreds of those who did fully recover.

In fact, Minoxidil is very similar to finasteride and recently has been proven to block the 5ARII as well as to suppress androgen receptors. In addition to that, it is an antihypertensive and potassium channel opener (the latter can also harm the androgen receptors activity).

The recovery time is scary – up to 2 years and some seem to never recover. So please stop claiming it is psychological, because it has been proven, reported and is a known some effect.

I am extremely worried now, because I might have ruined my life by this OTC AR antagonist. Chances of recovery are great but noone knows for sure until they are fully recovered. Never use minoxidil, it is extremely dangerous. It needs to be banned. It is outrageous that is an OTC drug, it’s like selling steroids or Prozac in the convenience store.

If I don’t recover, my life will not be worth living anymore.